Skip to main content

Facts about Norwegian farmed cod

Experience from farming salmon and other marine species has made Norway a leading aquaculture nation. Along the Norwegian coast there are several cod farmers with an increasing number of suppliers to the industry. Cod is a popular species and cod farming makes it available fresh throughout the year. 

Norwegian farmed cod is a versatile fish and a natural part of a healthy diet

The farmed cod from Norway is a low-fat, high protein source. The low fat maked the cod the perfect protein source any day of the week. The farmed cod can be used in any dish, due to its mild flavor, white color, and delicate firm meat. It can be paired with exciting spices and cuisines. The cod can be oven baked, fried, grilled or used in sushi and sashimi. A healthy, versatile, and delicate fish. 


Feed for Norwegian farmed cod 

The cod feed is a mix of marine and vegetable ingredients. Right after hatching the larval feeds of live feed, and when moved to on-growth it feeds on pellets. The marine raw material derives from fish and fish trimmings from well-regulated fisheries.

It takes around two years for the farmed cod to be fully grown

The farmed cod grows slowly in the cold fjords of Norway, which makes it a strong fish. The growth phase takes place on land and when they reach around 60-100 grams, they are moved to sea cages where the sea phase begins. Here they will grow to the desired size. The most common size for farmed cod is 4,5 – 4,5 kilos.

Feed efficiency

The cod grows in cold conditions, energy is therefore not required to keep it warm. The swimming activity also requires less energy than walking, making farmed cod more energy sufficient than most land-based protein options. This allows for more efficient use of feed, which is positive from a resource and climate perspective. Around 1 kilogram of feed is needed to raise one kilogram cod, and it takes 3 kg of feed to produce 1 kg of pork and as much as 8 kg feed to produce 1 kg beef

97,5 percent water - 2,5 percent fish

Regulations require that the farmed cod only fill 2.5% of the pen. The remaining 97.5% is fresh flowing water. These regulations help ensure that the cod are not overcrowded and can maintain good health. These regulations play an important role in promoting responsible and sustainable aquaculture practices.

Norwegian farmed fish has a low carbon footprint

Compared to other proteins such as pork and beef, Norwegian farmed fish has a low carbon footprint. In fact, the fish farming C02 is usually around 10 times lower than for beef production. The relatively low footprint is due to the low energy needs of farmed fish, which means it requires less feed than other farmed animals, and production of animal feed is a significant source of C02 emissions.